Saturday, February 18, 2012

Trees

     When I was thirteen, I returned with my family to the Philippines to visit my maternal grandparents.  On one of the days we were there, we decided to go swimming at a resort with natural soda lakes called Hidden Valley Lake Resort.  On the way there, we had to drive through a lot of forest.  There were sign posts to assure us that we were going the right direction with parts of this poem written on each one:

Trees
by Joyce Kilmer

I think I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.


I never forgot that poem because I found so many truths in it.  23 years later and I can still remember the vision of that poem as it stood among sign posts surrounded by dense tropical forest.  I continue to be inspired by trees.






No comments:

Post a Comment