Friday, February 3, 2012

Robbie: A Newborn Meditation with His Family

     I marvel at newborns.  They're so primal and simple yet at the same time, opinionated and demanding.  They are as complex and mysterious as the oldest adult.  We think we may have figured them out--our culture and medical constitutions have studied and systemized their needs and parts.  But in the middle of the unending night or in the middle of a long exhausting day, there can be moments of personal desperation because I simply do not know what's going on.  They've triumphed over me.  I do not know anything and I simply want to make them happy.  Each of my children have more or less brought me to those points of humility.  So I continue to marvel at them because I am still trying to figure them out.  Moreover, I respect them because I cannot determine who they are--I must respect their boundaries and limits.  These are the kind of thoughts I bring to a newborn portrait session.  And the feelings?  I cannot help but love them.  Welcome to the world little Robbie. 


Whose toes are these?



 First, time with Grandma...


Then time with the siblings, silly siblings....













Last but not least, time for Baby and Mama...




















1 comment: