Monday, December 3, 2012

A Picture A Day in November: Soul Shooting Workshop Assignment

      I am a member of the Soul Shooting Workshop of Photographers.  I had the privilege of participating in the workshop this past June.  It is run by 4 wonderful photographers Kelly, Molly, and Rosina and Sarah.   See the posts about it here and here.  We continue to meet via a private Facebook page in which we are challenged every other month or so with an assignment that will bring us towards the goal of creating a type of photography that reflects our soul.  Hence, the name soul shooting.  As I had written in one of the posts, soul shooting is:
...simply learning to shoot in a way that reflects the dynamic of your soul and that of your subject. It is capturing life in a way that reflects your past, present and future as a photographer and not as a carbon copy of other photographers. It is learning to craft your soul into the body of your photographic work.
     One of my personal goals is incorporating my vision of post tenebras lux--after darkness, light--into my portfolio.  It is a view of the world that sees order in the disorder, light in the darkness, and hope in the despair.  I was inspired by this from church history.  Post tenebras lux was the binding motto and call of the Protestant Reformation and especially of John Calvin and his church in Geneva, Switzerland.  It is a triumphant statement of victory and hope in the brokenness and darkness of this present world.  It calls me back to a time in history of great change and reform and to which I am an heir as a Reformed believer and wife of a Reformed minister.  Post tenebras lux is my life: past, present, and future.

     In my photography, I try to convey this through high contrasts, a wide dynamic range, a wider angle of view and typically a deeper depth of field.  In most of my photos, I framed the subject in its context, usually an environment of disorder, imperfection, mess.  But I had the subject serve as the contrast to that brokeness.  The subject was typically illuminated by light with a clear sense of composition, order, or beauty.  At least that was my goal.

     So, for the month of November, we were to take a picture everyday that incorporates one of our personal goals as photographers.  For me, it was articulating that vision of light in darkness; this was my attempt at fleshing out post tenebras lux.  After meditating on my pictures, I encourage you to visit Sarah's take on the month-long assignment, an exercise on points of (eye) contact.  Each of us in the group will be sending you around the internet to see our personal takes on this assignment.   Enjoy!
































-->

4 comments:

  1. you really are seeing light in darkness and the beautiful contrast it creates! and you have come SO FAR in such a short time. my daughter put this quote in a recent school essay on beethoven, it ties into all art forms and why we create (i had to find it for you :)

    “Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.” ― Ludwig van Beethoven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a quote! So much for thought. The listening, looking, waiting for that shot feels like I am uncovering secrets I had overlooked before. Unearthing the beauty of moments, of people and places, and of light does lead us to see God's "hand" in them. Thank you for finding and sharing that quote with me!

      Delete
  2. leah, i LOVE the way you see and use light in this series! just love them. so glad you got to do this! xx

    ReplyDelete